Opposition leader proposes meeting with Yoon amid growing party feud
简介Opposition leader Lee Jae-myung on Friday publicly proposed one-on-one talks with President Yoon Suk ...
Opposition leader Lee Jae-myung on Friday publicly proposed one-on-one talks with President Yoon Suk Yeol amid intensifying feuds between the political rivals.
The proposal from the chairman of South Korea's main opposition Democratic Party comes just two days after he narrowly averted a crisis in his political career, with the court dismissing an arrest warrant request related to corruption charges filed against him.
With the arrest reprieve that bolstered the DP’s counterattack, the political standoff between the rival parties has continued to escalate. Regular sessions at the National Assembly will resume after the 6-day Chuseok holiday that ends next Tuesday.
"I propose a one-on-one meeting with a primary focus on addressing livelihood concerns to President Yoon Suk Yeol. Let's put a halt to political strife, at least until the regular session that ends in December, and focus on resolving issues affecting the public's well-being," Lee said in a statement posted on his Facebook.
"I hope the president and the opposition leader can meet without conditions to candidly discuss matters concerning people's livelihood and state affairs, and expeditiously execute tasks within our capacity."
The ruling People Power Party on Friday labeled Lee's proposal as "out of context" and called on Lee to respond instead, to the repeated requests from the ruling leader, Kim Gi-hyeon, for a meeting.
Party spokesperson Rep. Kang Min-kuk emphasized that Lee should prioritize their proposal for interparty talks between the leaders of the two parties.
"It is a fundamental aspect of parliamentary democracy for the leaders of both the ruling and opposition parties to convene and deliberate on livelihood issues under consideration at the National Assembly," Kang said in a statement.
"The sudden and out-of-place proposal for talks between the president and the opposition leader, amidst a legislative standstill, not only appears incongruous but also lacks authenticity."
Lee has proposed talks to Yoon on multiple occasions, including during his inauguration as the party's leader in August last year and during this year's New Year press conference. These proposed talks never came to fruition.
North Korea's advancements in nuclear and missile capabilities have enabled the country to depl ...
This year’s Benois de la Danse winner, Kang Mi-sun, is set to perform the classic ballet “Don Quixot ...
Hit filmmaker Kim Jee-woon has returned with black comedy “Cobweb,” joining forces with Cannes-winni ...
- NCT Dream to perform on 2023 iHeartRadio Jingle Ball Tour
- Major Korean firms fare worse than US counterparts in H1
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Early Koreanists on verge of extinction overseas
- SKC to build bioplastics plant in Vietnam
- Seoul's financial assistance for egg freezing receives attention from single women
- Kakao completes its first own data center
- Political strife may delay Korea’s launch of new space agency
- Kakao completes its first own data center
- Reconstructed Dondeokjeon hall in Deoksu Palace to open to public
- Broadcom to appeal S. Korean regulator's fine over unfair Samsung Electronics deal
- Breadwinners in their 60s or above double in 9 years
- Over half of Koreans want continuous strengthening of alliance with US: poll
- [KH Explains] Lotte goes all
- KB chief hopes successor transforms group into 'Samsung of finance'
- Seoul shares tumble to 5
- S. Korea to step up quarantine efforts against animal diseases
- [Korea Beyond Korea] 'Funding drought jeopardizes interest in ancient Korea studies in US'
- [Weekender] Behind the scenes of Korean food crazes
- PM arrives in China for Asian Games, meeting with Xi
- Russian top diplomat to visit NK, accuses US of fueling tensions on Korean Peninsula
- Apple to launch iPhone15 series in S. Korea on Oct. 13
- Sabre fencer, swimming relay team eye historic medals
- From traditional to trendy, three of Seoul's top yukhoe spots
- BTS' Jungkook to drop new single '3D'
- [Today’s K
- Seoul shares close lower amid woes over Fed's drawn
- BTS' Suga begins military service
- S. Korea, US conduct underwater search operation for downed jet, Korean War remains
- Opposition party leader ends 24
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Early Korean history remains virtually unknown abroad
- PM to meet with Xi on sidelines of Asian Games in Hangzhou
- [Photo News] Mudeungsan fully opens door to public after 57 years
- Koreans prefer cash in Chuseok gifting for parents
- [Book Review] 'Lee Kun
- [New in Korean] Ancient Korean mummy unearthed in Irish peatland
- LG Chem pivots to LFP with Huayou for Morocco plant