S. Korea wins gold in League of Legends competition; Faker tops podium
简介HANGZHOU, China -- South Korea won the inaugural title of the League of Legends (LOL) competition at ...
HANGZHOU, China -- South Korea won the inaugural title of the League of Legends (LOL) competition at the 19th Asian Games in China on Friday, helping LOL superstar Lee Sang-hyeok, or Faker, become a gold medalist at the Asiad.
In the LOL final held at China Hangzhou Esports Centre in Hangzhou, China, the team of Lee, Seo Jin-hyeok, Park Jae-hyeok, Jung Ji-hun, Ryu Min-seok and Choi Woo-je beat Chinese Taipei 2-0 to claim the Asian Games crown.
This is South Korea's second gold from esports, which made their Asian Games debut as medal sports in Hangzhou, after one from Street Fighter V was won by 44-year old gamer Kim Gwan-woo the previous day.
Earlier this week, Kwak Jun-hyouk won the bronze medal in the FC Online competition, a multiplayer online football game formerly known as FIFA Online.
At the Hangzhou Asiad, seven esports are contested for seven gold medals. The competitive video game tournaments, especially among professional gamers, served as a demonstration sport in the 2018 Asian Games in Indonesia.
In LOL, the popular multiplayer online battle arena video game developed in 2009, two teams of five players battle in head-to-head combat to destroy the opponent's "nexus," a large structure deep inside the enemy base.
South Korea became the Asian Games' inaugural LOL champions in an invincible feat. It had been undefeated in its five matches at Hangzhou, without even dropping a set.
In the final, South Korea set its lineup of five players without Lee, who captains the all-star team, as it did in the neck-and-neck semifinals against archrival China.
After taking the first set in 29 minutes, both teams battled back and forth in the beginning of the second set before taking the lead in the 18th minute.
Then, South Korea did not allow their opponents to catch up and destroy the nexus. (Yonhap)
탈북민단체 자유북한운동연합은 지난 20일 인천 강화도에서 대북전단을 대형풍선에 매달아 북한으로 보냈다고 밝혔다. 사진 자유북한운동연합탈북민단체 자유북한운동연합이 대북전단 20만장을 ...
South Korean stocks opened lower Monday on concerns about the Federal Reserve's aggressive mone ...
Hit filmmaker Kim Jee-woon has returned with black comedy “Cobweb,” joining forces with Cannes-winni ...
S. Korean industry minister visits Africa for World Expo bid, economic ties
여당, 총선변수에 고심…“쇄신한 민주당과 대결 준비해야”
Seoul shares open lower on Fed's higher
Political strife may delay Korea’s launch of new space agency
N. Korea decides to expel US soldier Travis King
Uzbekistan, Korea boost customs cooperation
- KFCC promotes financial inclusion via branches in developing nations
- [Weekender] Behind the scenes of Korean food crazes
- S. Korean firms urge US to clarify 'foreign entity of concern'
- [Book Review] 'Lee Kun
- [New in Korean] Year 2020 revisited under shadow of disconnection
- Allies vow stern measures against Russia
- Mirae Asset continues to lead domestic equity ETF market
- "가리비 8m 천장까지 쌓였다"…단 한달만에 日 타격 입힌 中
- Dodgers prospect trying to fit in with S. Korean nat'l baseball team
- [Herald Interview] Jung Soo
- 2023 LoL World Championship to entertain esports fans
- S. Korea wins gold in League of Legends competition; Faker tops podium
- Fall festivals to take place across Seoul
- N. Korea decides to expel US soldier Travis King
- S. Korea in contention for team medal in women's golf
- With teammate's help, inconsolable shooter regroups in time to win bronze
- Explore the culture of Joseon during Chuseok
- S. Korean refiners set for turnaround in Q3 on stronger margins
- Memorials commemorating Itaewon crowd crush to be erected at accident site
- Swimmer, gamers celebrate Chuseok with gold medals
- Yoon hosts luncheon meeting with Korean atomic bomb victims in Hiroshima on Chuseok
- Chuseok food cost hits all
- NK leader sends congratulatory message to Xi on Chinese founding anniversary
- NCT Dream to perform on 2023 iHeartRadio Jingle Ball Tour
- Whisky imports surge 40% through August, suggesting record
- 김영호 통일장관 “북러 군사 무기거래 깊이 우려…불법행위 중단하라”
- Inflation driving up costs to eat out
- [Bills in Focus] Eased land use within industrial complexes, tackling faulty construction
- Diplomatic vehicle blessed for safety via Hindu ritual by S. Korean Embassy in India
- At 93 and on quest to become Korea's oldest Ph.D. grad